By Niall Lucy
A Dictionary of Postmodernism offers an authoritative A-Z of the severe phrases and vital figures regarding the origins and evolution of postmodernist idea and culture.
- Explores the names and concepts that experience come to outline the postmodern – from Baudrillard, Jameson, and Lyotard, to the ideas of deconstruction, meta-narrative, and simulation – along much less canonical themes akin to discussion and punk
- Includes essays by means of the overdue Niall Lucy, a number one professional in postmodernism reports, and via different famous students who got here jointly to accomplish and extend upon his final work
- Spans a kaleidoscope of postmodernism views, addressing its fans and haters; its movers and shakers reminiscent of Derrida; its origins in modernism and semiotics, and its outlook for the future
- Features a chain of short essays instead of fastened definitions of the most important principles and arguments
- Engaging and thought-provoking, this can be right away a scholarly consultant and enduring reference for the field
Read or Download A Dictionary of Postmodernism PDF
Best literary criticism & theory books
Means that Melville's rejection of biblical theology unearths robust expression all through all of his later fictional prose and his verse. This name gathers jointly a number of the feedback at the works of Melville, together with Moby-Dick, Typee, Omoo, The Piazza stories, and Benito Cereno.
During this innovative and hugely unique paintings, poet-scholar Glazier investigates the ways that desktop expertise has stimulated and remodeled the writing and dissemination of poetry. In electronic Poetics, Loss Pequeño Glazier argues that the rise in machine expertise and accessibility, particularly the area large net, has created a brand new and potential position for the writing and dissemination of poetry.
"The dead Mouths" and different Literary Writings brings to English-language readers literary writings--several formerly unknown--by Simone de Beauvoir. Culled from assets together with a number of American college collections, the works span a long time of Beauvoir's occupation. starting from dramatic works and literary conception to radio declares, they jointly demonstrate clean insights into Beauvoir's writing method, own existence, and the honing of her philosophy.
James Fenimore Cooper's Leather-Stocking stories, released among 1823 and 1841, are mostly considered as America's first significant works of fiction. the following, Geoffrey Rans presents now not easily a brand new interpreting of the 5 novels that include the sequence but additionally a brand new manner of examining them. Rans analyzes all the 5 novels (The Pioneers, The final of the Mohicans, The Prairie, The Pathfinder, and The Deerslayer) in the order within which they have been initially composed, an achronological series by way of the tales they inform.
- Benjamin's Library: Modernity, Nation, and the Baroque (Signale: Modern German Letters, Cultures, and Thought)
- Global Matters: The Transnational Turn in Literary Studies
- Kipling and "Orientalism" (Routledge Revivals)
- Literature, Politics and Culture in Postwar Britain (Classic Criticism)
Additional resources for A Dictionary of Postmodernism
A Dictionary of Postmodernism by Niall Lucy