By Shirley Samuels
- Draws seriously on old and cultural contexts in its attention of yankee fiction
- Relates the fiction of the interval to conflicts approximately territory and sovereignty and to problems with gender, race, ethnicity and identity
- Covers diverse varieties of fiction, together with children’s literature, sketches, polemical items, historic romances, Gothic novels and novels of exploration
- Considers either canonical and lesser-known authors, together with James Fennimore Cooper, Hannah Foster, Nathaniel Hawthorne, Herman Melville and Harriet Beecher Stowe
- Treats ignored themes, equivalent to the Western novel, technological know-how and the radical, and American fiction in languages except English
Read Online or Download A Companion to American Fiction 1780 - 1865 (Blackwell Companions to Literature and Culture) PDF
Best literary criticism & theory books
Means that Melville's rejection of biblical theology unearths robust expression all through all of his later fictional prose and his verse. This name gathers jointly a number of the feedback at the works of Melville, together with Moby-Dick, Typee, Omoo, The Piazza stories, and Benito Cereno.
During this progressive and hugely unique paintings, poet-scholar Glazier investigates the ways that laptop know-how has encouraged and remodeled the writing and dissemination of poetry. In electronic Poetics, Loss Pequeño Glazier argues that the rise in computing device expertise and accessibility, particularly the area large internet, has created a brand new and practicable position for the writing and dissemination of poetry.
"The lifeless Mouths" and different Literary Writings brings to English-language readers literary writings--several formerly unknown--by Simone de Beauvoir. Culled from assets together with quite a few American collage collections, the works span many years of Beauvoir's occupation. starting from dramatic works and literary thought to radio publicizes, they jointly demonstrate clean insights into Beauvoir's writing strategy, own lifestyles, and the honing of her philosophy.
James Fenimore Cooper's Leather-Stocking stories, released among 1823 and 1841, are mostly considered as America's first significant works of fiction. the following, Geoffrey Rans offers no longer easily a brand new interpreting of the 5 novels that include the sequence but in addition a brand new manner of studying them. Rans analyzes all the 5 novels (The Pioneers, The final of the Mohicans, The Prairie, The Pathfinder, and The Deerslayer) in the order during which they have been initially composed, an achronological series when it comes to the tales they inform.
- Transnational Canadas: Anglo-Canadian Literature and Globalization (TransCanada)
- The Testimonies of Russian and American Postmodern Poetry: Reference, Trauma, and History
- Reception Theory: Volume 25 (New Accents)
- Guilty But Insane: Mind and Law in Golden Age Detective Fiction (Oxford Textual Perspectives)
Extra resources for A Companion to American Fiction 1780 - 1865 (Blackwell Companions to Literature and Culture)
A Companion to American Fiction 1780 - 1865 (Blackwell Companions to Literature and Culture) by Shirley Samuels